The Hertfordshire Branch of the Embroiderers’ Guild was formed in 1974.
What does the Hertfordshire Branch do?
• The branch has a varied annual programme including:
• Monthly meetings
• Talks on embroidery and related subjects
• Day classes
• Quarterly Newsletter
• Exhibitions and outings
Who can join?
Anyone interested in any aspect of
needlecrafts and textiles.
Do I need to be an expert?
NO – in fact, you do not even have to be able to stitch!
What happens at a typical meeting?
• Brief introduction with business matters arising
• A fascinating and informative talk on any aspect of embroidery or related craft. This may be illustrated with slides and examples of work. Talks last about an hour. Other meetings may take the form of a practical workshop.
• Opportunity to borrow library books and hire equipment
• Opportunity to book places for day classes
• Embroidery chat and refreshments
• Meeting with like-minded people
• Occasional opportunities to buy relevant books and materials
• Sales table
What happens at a day class?
Several day classes are held throughout the year. Classes are planned to cater
for all interests and abilities. They give members an opportunity to learn new
skills or develop existing ones. Numbers are limited to 16 for each class to enable the tutor to give individual attention. The classes are held in the same hall as the meetings. They take place on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. Participants bring their own packed lunches.
What other activities are there?
Annual Regional Day
Competition for Nora Jones Trophy
SOS (Stitch on Saturday) – twice a year
We also have an active Young Embroiderers’ group.
How much does it cost?
Branch Meetings £3
Speaker Meetings £4
Back to Basics Meetings £3
Membership £36 p.a. (includes full membership of the Embroiderers’ Guild and the branch). Visitors welcome
Meeting Place: United Reformed Church Hall, Chiswell Green, St Albans, Herts
Current Members: 78
Chair: Sue Baughan
Vice Chair: Caroline Walford
Secretary: Mel Featherstone
Treasurer: Tina Cannon
Young Embroiderers Reps: Sheila Philpot
IT Rep: Moira Bunting
Programme Eva Cantin
For more information go to – www.hertsbranch.wordpress.com